William S. Campbell
Idaho's oldest, continually operating architecture firm was established in Boise, ID in 1889 by William S. Campbell, a Scotsman who studied at the University of Edinburgh before coming to America.
Albion Normal School—Swanger Hall
W.S. Campbell designed Albion Normal School—Swanger Hall, a brick and sandstone building constructed in 1896 in Albion, ID. In July 1947 this Queen Anne style structure burned to the ground in an early morning fire.
W.S. Campbell designed the Telephone building in 1889. It is located at 609 Main Street in Boise, ID and is part of the National Register Boise Historic District.
The grandest hotel in Idaho opened January 1, 1901. Designed by William S. Campbell in the French-chateau architectural style, the hotel hosted many renowned public figures including Clarence Darrow, defense attorney, and William Borah, prosecutor and future Idaho governor, as they prosecuted the Big Bill Haywood trial in 1907. Still a beloved Boise icon, today the Idanha is on the historic register of places and is an apartment building with street level restaurants.
Granite Hall, R.M. Davidson Residence
This home was designed for R.M. Davidson by William S. Campbell in 1901 and is one of several historic residences located on Warm Springs Avenue. Campbell and Wayland designed numerous residences throughout Idaho.
Campbell & Wayland
Bostonian Charles W. Wayland, Architect joins Campbell's firm in 1900. He studied architectural art and science, and gained practical experience as a draftsman in Duluth, Minnesota. In 1902 the Campbell & Wayland partnership was created.
Central Fire Station
Boise's Central Fire Station is located in the heart of downtown and was completed in 1903 by Campbell and Wayland's and is recognized as one of their most noted landmarks. Over time it was converted to commercial uses and the tower was removed. 80+ years later CSHQA bought the building, had the tower rebuilt based on original drawings, then used it for office space for about 10 years. See 1985.
Wayland & Fennell, Architects
James A. Fennell, Architect, joins Charles W. Wayland in 1903 shortly after W.S. Campbell leaves the firm. Fennell was a member of the first class to graduate from California's original school of architecture (John Hopkins Institution of Art and Architecture) and was previously a partner in the firm Fennell & Cove in Butte, Montana. In 1904 Fennell becomes C.W. Wayland's partner and establish Wayland & Fennell, Architects. Wayland and Fennell were well-known and respected architects that designed numerous buildings and private residences throughout Idaho—many that still exist today.
Fennell Attends Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition, Seattle
James Fennell was part of the Idaho Commission to select the site for the Idaho State Building at the Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition in Seattle, Washington. This exposition was considered the first world's fair held in Seattle promoting the development of the Pacific Northwest. Today the University of Washington campus is located on the fairgrounds.
The Idaho Statesman Building
Wayland & Fennell designed The Idaho Statesman building located at 601 Main Street in downtown Boise's Historic District. This building was the Statesman's third home in Boise and was built in 1910.
Charles V. "Ike" Wayland, FAIA
Charles V. "Ike" Wayland joins his father, Charles W. Wayland and James A. Fennell after attending the University of Idaho and receiving his Bachelor's degree in Architecture from the University of Washington in 1930. His successful career lasted more than 35 years as the firm changed names and other partners joined, including Glen Cline and Neil Smull. When Ike Wayland retired in 1966 the firm was known as Wayland Cline & Smull, Architects.
Wayland & Cline, Architects
Glen E. Cline, FAIA and President Emeritus of CSHQA played a key role in the growth and leadership of the firm from 1949 to 1985. He was a graduate of the School of Engineering and Architecture at Kansas State University and first joined the firm of Wayland & Fennell, Architects in 1949. After a few years he left the firm to pursue other interests; however, in 1955 he returned and formed a partnership with Ike Wayland and the firm was then known as Wayland & Cline, Architects. He was well known as a “mentor” to many local architects still practicing today. During his career the firm name changed as new partners joined and when he retired in 1985 the firm was known as CSHQA. Glen Cline was the principal architect for many of Idaho’s recognizable landmarks including the University of Idaho’s Kibbie Dome, Boise State University’s Pavilion (Taco Bell Arena), Boise Airport Terminal, Boise City Hall, Len B. Jordan State Office Building and the original building for Morrison-Knudsen World Headquarters.
Wayland Cline & Smull, Architects
Neil Smull, FAIA, ASLA and President Emeritus of CSHQA. He received his bachelor and master degrees in architecture from Kansas State University where he first met Glen Cline. He was an instructor of architecture at Kansas State University and later after his second tour of duty with the U.S. Army he was a professor of architecture at Michigan State University. He later taught at the University of Idaho as a visiting professor. In 1961 he joined C.V. “Ike” Wayland and Glen E. Cline as a partner and the firm changed to Wayland Cline Smull, Architects. Some of his most notable projects include Boise School District’s Liberty and Amity elementary schools, Sun Valley Bank and the Bank of Idaho Headquarters (currently KeyBank). Long before energy costs escalated, Neil incorporated energy-efficient concepts into his designs, earning him local, regional and national recognition. Neil retired from CSHQA in 1986.
Bank of Idaho - Key Financial Center
Wayland, Cline, Smull were the associate architects for this 12-story building in downtown Boise which was originally designed in 1963 for the Bank of Idaho. It was later known as First Interstate Bank and is currently known as Key Financial Center. CSHQA designed a major remodel of the interior and exterior which was completed for Key Financial Center in 1989, as well as another interior remodel for this building in 2005.
The Imperial Plaza, a 13-story mixed-use tower was built in 1965 and was known as one of the highest buildings in downtown Boise at that time. The exterior included marble chip mosaic panels and spacious balconies for the twelve apartment floors with one, two and three bedroom apartments. The penthouse on the 12th floor included four luxurious apartments. The ground floor was devoted to professional offices. Wayland Cline Smull were the architects with R.E. Rice Construction as the general contractor. Quinten Gregory, a well-known Boise artist, provided the rendering located to left of the actual photo of this building.
Cline Smull Hamill Shaw & Associates
In 1968 Cline Smull Architects merged with the firm Hamill Shaw Associates and the name changed to Cline Smull Hamill Shaw & Associates. In 1972 Shaw left the firm and the name changed to Cline Smull Hamill Associates. Robert L. Hamill, Jr. spent the rest of his career with CSHQA until his retirement in 1989. Some of his most notable projects included the State of Idaho's Capitol Mall Parking Structure, Boise Fire Station No. 1, KIVI Channel 6 Nampa Studio and several projects at Zoo Boise.
Morrison-Knudsen World Headquarters
The new Morrison-Knudsen (MK) headquarters office building was dedicated in June 1970. Cline Smull Hamill Shaw Associates were the architects for the first 5-story office building located on the M-K campus in Boise, ID.
University of Idaho Kibbie Dome
The University of Idaho’s ASUI Activity Center Kibbie Dome was originally completed in 1975 at a cost of $7.8 million. Glen Cline was the principal architect from Cline Smull Hamill Associates when the design began in 1970 with construction beginning in 1971 on the enclosed stadium. The arched roof was an engineering marvel of that time with a 400-foot clear span. The building was 410 ft. x 498 ft. with a height of 150 ft. The floor area was 93,500 sq. ft. The East End Addition was completed in 1982 and included offices, training and locker rooms. Major upgrades have taken place since 2009 by other firms and in 2015 the University of Idaho celebrated the 40th anniversary of the Kibbie Dome.
Cline Smull Hamill Quintieri Associates
Allen Quintieri joined the firm in 1970 and in 1978 became a major stockholder at which time the firm name changed to Cline Smull Hamill Quintieri Armstrong. In 1979 after Armstrong left the firm name was changed to Cline Smull Hamill Quintieri Associates and later shortened to CSHQA. Allen Quintieri's expertise was primarily health care and governmental projects. He was the project architect for several new, remodel, additions and expansion projects for hospitals throughout the State of Idaho, including several major expansion projects from 1973 until he retired in 2001 for St. Luke's Regional Medical Center. Some of his other notable projects include the U.S. Air National Guard Dual C-130 Hangars at Gowen Field, U.S. Post Office in Meridian, Western States Equipment in Boise and Pendleton and the Boise Hawks Memorial Stadium in Boise.
Central Station Historical Renovation
Central Fire Station is on the National Historic Register and is one of Boise’s significant historical buildings. It was originally designed in 1903 by Campbell Wayland and was renovated in 1985 in compliance with the Department of Interiors standards using the original construction documents. The exterior renovation included repairing the exterior brickwork as well as reconstructing the bell tower, which was removed in the 1960s. CSHQA moved their offices to the renamed “Central Station” in 1985 where they were located until 1999. In 1987 CSHQA received an Orchid Award from the Idaho Historic Preservation Council for this project.
100% Employee Owned
In the summer of 2018, CSHQA became 100% Employee Owned. The evolution was part of the firm's transition in anticipation of the retirement ahead for several leads within the company.
New Leadership Structure
As part of the Growth Transformation Initiative, the firm announces a brand new leadership structure, including a new layer of executives.
The First-Ever CEO
Ryan Martin is hired as the company's first-ever Chief Executive Officer to lead the firm’s strategic and business aspects and oversee developing initiatives and business objectives to guide the firm in efficiencies and profitability.