Architectural Specifications Writer
As an Architectural Specifications Writer at CSHQA, you will participate as a team member to review drawings and other project information to write, edit, and approve project specifications. This position will utilize knowledge of construction projects, materials, and methods to write specifications for a variety of complex projects and building types. You should possess strong communication skills and it is expected that you will be able to work independently and self-check work for accuracy, omissions, and legibility. You will collaborate with project architects to develop best practices and share knowledge to maintain awareness of industry reference standards and resources.
- Performs and completes work on defined segments of a project, after initial and periodic interaction with assigned supervisor and organizes own work efforts within that framework.
- Checks, coordinates and integrates work with other project team members.
- Strong knowledge of architectural design, engineering coordination, design trends, products, construction methodology, building systems, materials application and manufacturer supplier appropriateness.
- Performs material and building systems research and participates in the coordination and preparation of project specifications.
- Seeks creative and innovative solutions to assigned tasks and develops associated research and documentation for these solutions with an emphasis on improving internal workflows and integration of leading-edge industry standards.
- Assists project teams with the scheduling of QA/QC process at early phases and coordinate QA/QC between specifications and construction documents.
- Assists in the set-up and coordination of the specifications on assigned projects, both within the group and with other disciplines.
- Provides oversight of specification deliverable schedule, acting as an internal liaison between project teams and the specifications group to assist in determining project deliverables and deadlines starting at project kick-off.
- Confers with clients, consultants, contractors, and others during various stages of project development.
- Assists in supervising project document control tasks and in maintaining the quality control of such tasks.
- Assists in the development of local office standards, policies, and procedures related to specifications including coordinating with internal departments to integrate and automate shared resources and knowledge.
- Assist in review of technical submittals and samples received from Contractors during Construction Administration to confirm conformance with specification requirements.
- Assist in providing occasional construction observation as may be required to confirm conformance with project Specifications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or Engineering or equivalent in education or experience required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5-7 years of experience in all phases of architecture and experience in the preparation of construction documents, with an emphasis on material on product research, and construction specifications.
- Demonstrates knowledge of architectural design, documentation, detailing, building materials, building codes, construction techniques and cost analysis, as well as building material compatibility and characteristics.
- Demonstrates practical knowledge of local office standards, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates proficiency in building information modeling (BIM) and word processing.
- Demonstrates knowledge of industry standards, current product development, and architectural practices.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to support a collaborative remote or hybrid team environment using MS Teams online meeting experience.
- Working knowledge of Revit.
- Familiarity with Speclink.
- Proficiency in Bluebeam and MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Licensed Architect
- Construction Specifications Institute Certification (CSI)
- Certified Construction Specifier (CCS)
CSHQA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, pregnancy, genetic information, retaliation for protected activity, protected veteran or disabled status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state and local laws.