Tucson Magnet High School Wellness Center & Gymnasium
Tucson Magnet High School is the historic, first high school in Tucson. Alan Scott and Michael Harris, who lead the CSHQA Tucson Education Studio, have participated in planning and design on the campus since the 1980’s.
Most recently, they completed a nearly 75,000 sf wellness/practice gymnasium to compliment the adjacent 1939 gymnasium which was undergoing concurrent renovation. Filling a gap on the pedestrian mall, the new facility drew inspiration from materials and details from prominent buildings on each side. The team searched for the original clay used in the brick work for the original gymnasium and later, equally significant Vocational Arts Building. Great care was taken in the brick work details and entry and widow configurations.
By judiciously using a translucent fiberglass panel called Kalwall, ample daylight is provided via a durable material. Other materials were selected for durability and acoustic dampening. For an investment of $15 million the new gymnasium facility manifests a commitment to teaching lifelong wellness, and includes student (as opposed to team) locker rooms, and a compliment of wellness spaces including yoga, dance, and spin labs. Public use is encouraged. CSHQA also designed a two story parking structure for faculty to help alleviate congestion on the dense urban site.
The new facilities are part of an impressive transformation of student achievement and campus pride.